Despite some of the recent bad press of Germany, it is a great place to raise children.
Here are some of my favourite reasons why it is great to be a child in Germany.
- You walk to school alone from about 5/6 years old.
- You play naked in public ponds, water features and nobody will bat an eyelid or report you and your parents to social services.
- You will climb on top of playground structures or park equipment (where only birds can usually go) but no adult will say anything.
- The playgrounds are everywhere, fancy, dangerously safe. Just great fun.
- You don't go to school until 6 years old.
- You always wear comfortable and practical clothing rather than pretty or elegant options.
- Germany, as a country, rewards your parents for existing and later for furthering your education with monthly generous allowances.
- You can walk around in your underwear indoors (stockings/tights) and it does not need to be your home.
- Kids are not taught to read and write before 6.
- Play matters. Always. Everyday.
- Adults have a general relaxed attitude to discipline.
- You are outdoors come rain, sun or snow.
- Adults will always carry a ton of snacks with them to the playground or any other outing.
- Playing with knives, nails and marbles is no problem from toddlerhood onwards.
- Starting school is a big, fun, joyous occasion. Parents and schools organise parties and ceremonies to welcome you. You are the star of the show for a few days.
Are you raising your children in Germany? What do you like about it?
PIN me to read later: